Thursday, May 24, 2007

Giuliani: Now With Explicit Pandering!

Last Thursday night, as I was getting ready for bed, Afshin called me over to look at his screen. On it there was an article about how Rudy Giuliani was campaigning even more aggressively based on his experience dealing with the 9/11 debacle. This did not surprise me. I had just finished reading the headline when Afshin pointed to the picture:

In case it's not immediately obvious, yes, that's a little plane about to fly into the two towers that represent the digits in the number 11. As soon as I saw it, I gasped.

"That's so tasteless!" I was genuinely horrified. I mean, Giuliani already exploits 9/11 for all it's worth, but I didn't think he'd make it quite that explicit.

Afshin stared at me. "You know it's in the Onion, right?"

No, I did not. The page, as I tried to explain through the, oh, three straight minutes of laughter, had looked like the New York Times or something comparable. And I hadn't checked the URL.

Once again, I have made a mockery of myself.

No comments: